PETALING JAYA: Several Opposition MPs say it is impossible for Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to be still commanding a majority in the Dewan Rakyat after a group of Umno MPs have withdrawn their support for the Perikatan Nasional government and for him as Prime Minister.
"We are consistent with our stand that Muhyiddin and the Cabinet must step down from their positions," seven Opposition MPs said in a joint statement yesterday.
The statement was signed by PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Parti Amanah Negara president Mohamad Sabu, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, Upko president Datuk Seri Wilfred Madius Tangau, Parti Sarawak Bersatu MPs Baru Bian and Datuk Masir Kujat, and Independent MP Dr Maszlee Malik.
Umno president Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi on Tuesday announced that the party had decided in a special supreme council meeting to call on all its MPs to rescind their support for the Perikatan government.
He also said that 11 Umno MPs have signed statutory declarations (SDs) to that effect, and more such SDs would be forthcoming.
However, in a televised address yesterday, Muhyiddin insisted he still commanded majority support but promised a motion of confidence would be tabled in the Dewan Rakyat in September to test that support.
Separately, Malaysian United Democratic Alliance (Muda) co-founder Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman also denied his party has thrown its support behind Perikatan.
The Muar MP said Muda and its members will not support Perikatan.
"We have not formed – and will not form – any sort of cooperation with Perikatan.
"We remain true to our struggles and we believe that the truth will prevail," he told reporters after recording his statement at the Dang Wangi police headquarters here yesterday.
Muda has yet to be registered as a political party by the Registrar of Societies.
Syed Saddiq was commenting on speculation that several parties had thrown their support behind Perikatan.
- Calls For Japanese PM To Quit Grow In Aftermath Of Quake
- The Power of Media: Russian Perspective
- The End of Pompeii and Herculaneum (August 24-25, A.D. 79) Part 3 of 3
- The Canadian Political System
- REMAINING ALIVE VIA SOLAR ENERGY FOR 411 DAYS WITHOUT FOOD AND WATER
- The Courage to be Faithful (An Excerpt from the Upcoming Novel, "Beloved Apostate")
- The Art of Loafing
- Canadian Government Fall Down Go Boom
- Analysis of a Conservative Majority versus a Conservative Minority
- The Luxury of Naps
- A Romance in Augsburg [Chapters: 9 & 10: Her Body, Smooth as Silk]
- A Romance in Augsburg [Continuation of Chapter #9 / Part II]
- Grinding It Out - 2 Days In The Life of Senator Charles Schumer
- The Road Ahead
- Christian Gladiators? Athletics as a Metaphor for the Christian Lifestyle
- His Feet Never Touched the Ground
- The GOP In 2008: Overview and Analysis (Last of Three parts)
- Perhaps it's Love (Chapter 11 and 12: Bustling and Remote)
- Wall Street to Main Street: News, Views and Commentary: May 2, 2006
- Top 12 World News Stories In 2006 - Recap Of What Happened Around The World
Opposition MPs urge PM and Cabinet to resign have 477 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at August 5, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.