KOTA KINABALU: Sabah STAR wants the Opposition to stop playing politics and allow the government’s National Recovery Plan to be implemented.
Rallying behind Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, Sabah STAR president Datuk Seri Dr Jeffrey Kitingan said the continued political disruption in the country was undermining the government’s efforts to bring the Covid-19 pandemic outbreak under control and help the economy recover.
"What saddens me is that, during the four days of the Parliament's sitting (from July 26-29), the Opposition was insistent about playing politics while contributing nothing to the fight against Covid-19.
"What we need now is the government's undivided commitment to ensure Malaysia is on the right path towards economic recovery while keeping the best interests of the people in mind.
"The Opposition must be courteous enough to allow the government to carry out this plan," Jeffrey, who is Deputy Chief Minister, said in a statement on Thursday (Aug 5).
He said there are already almost 20,000 daily cases of Covid-19 detected in Malaysia as of Wednesday (Aug 4) and the numbers are projected to rise in the coming weeks.
Jeffrey, who is also Keningau MP, said Sabah STAR would remain steadfast in its support of Muhyiddin’s leadership.
He added that as far as the party is concerned, Muhyiddin is still Prime Minister despite intense pressure on him to step down.
"Constitutionally, he is still the Prime Minister. Parliament will have the opportunity to determine his legitimacy (during the vote of confidence) in September.
"In the meantime, all of these claims that he is a traitor to the King are baseless, and frankly, extremely distracting at a time when we should all be working together to battle Covid-19," he added.
- Ukraine Crisis: Russia, Ukraine, And EU Reach Ceasefire Agreement At Minsk II Summit
- China Fans Cheer NBA Stars As Free Speech Row Rages
- Lynx star Maya Moore leaves the game to court justice
- The World's Best Stress-Fighting Tips
- For Norway, One Star’s Presence Makes Up for Another’s Absence
- Opinion: FBI Director Comey And Law Enforcement's 'lazy Shortcuts Of Cynicism'
- Listen to Kanell & Bell
- Heroes of Health and Fitness
- ‘Is This Real Life?’ Yes, and Bianca Andreescu Is the Real Deal.
- 2019 N.B.A. Draft Results: Analysis of Every Pick in Round 1
- Who were the 'other guys' in sports' most famous plays?
- Japanese basketball’s ‘Chosen One’ is playing in the G League
- Notable athletes whose careers were cut short
- The World's Richest and Fittest Guys
- In Laos, Women Rule Rugby
- The fall of reason: How to protect your sanity in an insane world (and achieve spiritual victory in the process)
- Who Killed Chris Kyle?
- Hey, Politicians: Let's Stop Treating Working Mothers Like Second-Class Citizens
- When She Just Doesn't Get You
- Gina Rodriguez Takes on Body Shamers, Instagram Bullies, and Social Injustice
Sabah STAR backs PM, urges political ceasefire to focus on fighting Covid-19 pandemic have 465 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at August 5, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.