BERLIN (Reuters) – Germany’s conservative CDU chancellor candidate Armin Laschet said his party could not be satisfied with the results of an election on Sunday but that he would do everything possible to build a conservative-led government.
“We cannot be satisfied with the results of the election,” Laschet told his supporters after first projected results put his conservative bloc a whisker behind the Social Democrats. One exit poll had put them neck-and-neck.
“We will do everything possible to build a conservative-led government because Germans now need a future coalition that modernises our country,” he said. “It will probably be the first time that we will have a government with three partners.”
(Writing by Madeline Chambers; Editing by Tomasz Janowski)
- Amber Rudd vows to scrap targets for removing immigrants from UK
- Ricky Tomlinson calls on government to lift 'veil of secrecy' on Shrewsbury 24
- Donald Trump tried to kill trade. Covid-19 just might succeed
- Investigators Build Case for IS Crimes Against Yazidis
- Eurozone crisis live: Italian government blasts Moody's over downgrade
- Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will push ahead with plans to annex parts of occupied West Bank as new unity government sworn in
- UK pro-EU campaigners hold 'No to Boris' march in London
- Coronavirus live updates: Birx says it’s ‘difficult to tell’ if 2nd shutdown may be needed
- So, Mr Cameron, what would you do with our liberties?
- The Latest: Japan ending state of emergency in 3 prefectures
- Matt Hancock's testing fiasco deepens as officials admit up to 350,000 home Covid-19 kits have NOT been returned - meaning a FIFTH of swabs 'carried out' have yet to be analysed
- SoftBank’s Masa-Misra partnership strained by losses, infighting
- SAGE experts and police claim lockdown is 'dead in the water' after Boris Johnson stakes everything on defending Dominic Cummings and 16 Tory MPs call for him to be sacked
- Burnham backs call to publish all Shrewsbury 24 papers
- PM’s plan to get Australia back on track as global COVID-19 cases near five million
- Matt Hancock reveals massive plan to 'test, track and trace' coronavirus victims as prelude to ending lock-down and reveals ANY 'essential worker' will be able to get a swab test from TODAY
- 'I want to be a good British citizen': London Bridge terrorist's grovelling prison letter - before he was AUTOMATICALLY freed early after seven years for Mumbai-style plot despite his trial judge saying he should NEVER be released
- Coronavirus latest: Africa cases surpass 100,000
- Coronavirus latest: Trump-endorsed hydroxychloroquine increases chances of death
- Coronavirus latest: Germany extends social distancing
German CDU's Laschet vows to try to build conservative-led government have 402 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at September 27, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.