The government will speed up vaccinations and introduce urgent stimulus measures to mitigate the impact of its most severe coronavirus outbreak, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Wednesday.
The country has reported more than 1.5 million infections and 15,000 deaths, about 99% of those since April this year, after a year of successful containment during which the key tourism sector collapsed.
The government expects the situation to normalise quickly, Gen Prayut told a news conference hosted by the state planning agency.
“The government will make full efforts to resolve the crisis so that people can return to normal life as soon as possible,” he said.
So far, only 22% of the estimated 72 million people living in Thailand have been fully vaccinated. Authorities want a higher inoculation rate before reopening fully to tourists.
The government has introduced a series of measures to cope with the pandemic, with 1.5 trillion baht in borrowing, including 500 billion baht approved this year.
Earlier this week, it raised the public debt ceiling for more borrowing if needed.
Thailand needs a further 1 trillion baht to support the economy, the central bank’s governor said last month.
The planning agency forecast the economy will grow 0.7% to 1.2% this year after a 6.1% contraction last year.
Recovery will be “K shaped” with some industries improving and some still not, particularly the service sector, said the agency’s head, Danucha Pichayanan.
“The number of the poor tends to rise because of job losses and income declines caused by the crisis,” he said.
Government revenue collection faces limitations with businesses unable to fully operate, restraining fiscal ability to develop the country, Mr Danucha said.
The government is preparing an economic and social development plan for the next five years from October 2022 to transform the country with technology and innovation, he said.
- Pfizer committed to accelerate vaccine delivery to Việt Nam: CEO
- Glasgow to accelerate vaccine rollout to 18-39 year olds in bid to control Covid case surge
- Seven buttons for infra push in PM Modi's Independence Day speech
- U.S. Growth Could Surge on Stimulus and Vaccine Rollout
- Biden calls for $2K stimulus checks post-Georgia runoffs, but at least one Democrat opposes
- AstraZeneca CEO pledges to deliver COVID-19 vaccines to Việt Nam on schedule
- Bernie Sanders reminds Americans "not a single Republican voted" for $1,400 stimulus checks
- Bharat Biotech's Nasal Vaccine Gets Regulator's Nod For Holding Phase 2, 3 Clinical Trials
- Over 1.2 million doses of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine arrive in Vietnam
- Accelerate testing, detection of COVID-19 cases to end lockdowns soon: PM
Govt to accelerate vaccinations, stimulus measures - PM have 422 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at September 22, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.