(Reuters) – Four-times Olympic gold medallist Simone Biles told New York Magazine that she should have quit gymnastics “way before Tokyo,” where she suffered from a case of “twisties” that derailed her attempt at a record haul of six golds.
The 24-year-old American dropped out of the opening event at the Summer Games, the team competition in July, after just one vault and later said she was struggling with the “twisties,” a serious mental block in which gymnasts lose their sense of orientation.
In an interview released on Monday, Biles told the publication that she struggled with anxiety after arriving in Tokyo.
“If you looked at everything I've gone through for the past seven years, I should have never made another Olympic team," said Biles, citing the time former Team USA doctor Larry Nassar spent in the media before he was given two prison sentences of 40 to 125 years and 40 to 175 years for molesting gymnasts.
“I should have quit way before Tokyo.”
The 19-time world championship title-holder told lawmakers earlier this month how the FBI and U.S. gymnastic and Olympic officials failed to stop the sexual abuse that she and hundreds of other athletes suffered from Nassar.
(Reporting by Amy Tennery in New York; editing by Clare Fallon)
- Japan to allow ‘large-scale’ overseas visitors for Tokyo Games: Nikkei
- Tokyo Games sponsors pay $3.3 billion, but more still needed
- Aquatics, gymnastics, track and field federations propose new Olympic events
- Cyberpunk 2077 Features A Cameo From A Big Game Developer
- Cyber Monday 2020 gaming laptop deals: the best deals still available
- Cyber Monday 2020 gaming monitor deals: the best 144Hz, 240Hz and ultrawide deals
- The best PS4 games to replay on PS5
- PS5’s DualSense controller is changing how games are made in one surprising way
- Some colleges axing "secondary sports" like gymnastics and tennis as pandemic continues
- All not well with India’s Tokyo preparation
- The Game Awards 2020: Every result, winner, world premiere, trailers and more
- Tokyo Olympics team has 'cast-iron will' for 2021 event, says Sebastian Coe
- Hima Das, Dutee Chand to power 4X100m relay team for Tokyo berth
- Putin's 'love child daughter', 17, says she dreams of living in London or New York as Kremlin braces itself for new allegations over Russian leader's private life
- Swimmer Hoàng expected to shine at Tokyo Olympics
- Breakdancing Becomes Official Olympic Sport Ahead Of 2024 Summer Games In Paris
- Olympic rings back in Tokyo Bay
- The Game Awards 2020: Live results, world premieres, surprises and more
- PS4’s exclusive zombie game Days Gone deserves a chance to be itself
- Future Bethesda Games Don't Need To Be On PS5, Says Xbox's Phil Spencer
Gymnastics-Biles says she should have quit before Tokyo Games have 417 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at September 28, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.