KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): The National Task Force (NTF) should be maintained even after the Covid-19 pandemic has ended as the team has proven its capability in curbing the entry of undocumented migrants into the country.
Chief of Defence Forces Gen Tan Sri Affendi Buang (pic) said the NTF has not only succeeded in coordinating operation to prevent the entry of undocumented migrants as it was also successful in crippling other cross border crimes.
He said the mission in setting up the NTF was to strengthen the country's border control from intrusion by undocumented migrants and it is translated through the implementation of 'Operasi Benteng'.
“Thankfully, one year after its establishment, MAF (Malaysian Armed Forces) with other enforcement agencies combined under the NTF succeeded in achieving the entrusted responsibility.
“The operation was successfully carried out with meticulous planning and collaboration of all enforcement agencies involved directly in the operation," he said in a special interview in conjunction with 88th anniversary of MAF at Wisma Perwira ATM, here recently.
The 88th anniversary of MAF will be celebrated physically at Kem Segenting, Port Dickson, Negri Sembilan on Sept 22 without the presence of spectators.
Affendi said the feedback from all enforcement agencies was positive in response to the government's initiative as the NTF was able to unite all agencies and harness the efforts and energy in achieving the entrusted mission.
“The concept of the Whole of Government Approach has been effective compared to working in silos earlier.
“The cooperation need to go on as it has given positive impact in containing Covid-19 outbreak and curb cross border crimes from taking place at the country's border.
On the aspect of enhancing defence strategy and preparedness of the NTF, Affendi said the NTF is always improving its existing defence and security strategies to ensure it is relevant as well as coordinated in accordance with the assigned trust.
He said in the effort to further boost the strategy, the NTF had developed a Strategic Stronghold Plan (Pelan Strategik Benteng) based on government policies such as the National Security Policy, Defence White Paper as well as Security and Public Order Policy to ensure the continuous success and smooth implementation of Operasi Benteng.
At the same time, Affendi said the strong cooperation which has been forged with the enforcement agencies of other countries should continue to be strengthened such as sharing information and joint patrol at the border should to be carried out through the existing platform.
“It cannot be denied that there are challenges faced by the NTF in the effort to eradicate the entry of undocumented migrants and cross border crimes.
“Among them is their changing modus operandi from time to time. As such NTF has to be sensitive and is always on a lookout for new approaches adopted by the criminals," he said.
He said the country’s border control was also streamlined through increased capacity and preparedness with the acquisition of assets such as fast interceptor craft, rigid hull inflated boat, all terrain vehicle, scrambler motorcycles and drones.
Affendi said the acquisition of the assets has provided a high return of investment with the increase in arrest case statistics through Operasi Benteng.- Bernama
- Haley says U.S. forces 'locked and loaded' if Syria stages another chemical attack
- Homeland Security officials want to prosecute all parents who cross border with kids: report
- Israeli military shoots dead two Palestinians after dropping leaflets on Gaza warning against border protests
- Australian defence: Three contenders in race for military top job
- SDPD Shares Its License Plate Database With Border Patrol – and Hundreds of Other Agencies
- Nigeria: Killing of Christians in Nigeria Is Unacceptable, Says Trump
- Human smuggling across the southern border
- A White Man in a Truck Mowed Down a Young Native American Man. Was It a Hate Crime?
- Crime soaring as police investigate 8,383 extra offences in 2017
- Afghan president says assassination attempt was planned in Pakistan
- Cliff Richard says he 'thought he was going to have a heart attack' over BBC coverage of his arrest
- Fashion designer accused of murdering 21-year-old nanny suffered from mood swings, says partner who helped burn body
- In Maiden Assembly Address, President Barrow Says Pursuit of Justice, Free Press, Openness, Democracy, High Priority
- The Taking: How the federal government abused its power to seize property for a border fence
- Chiquibul exploited for organized crime: Asociación Balam
- Party chief’s China visit to define long-term direction for bilateral ties
- Syria latest: Rebels say air strikes will only lead to more civilian deaths
- US Air Force orders 'hypersonic conventional strike weapon'
- Cholera epidemic fears in Somalia and Kenya as severe flooding forces families to flee their homes
- Palestinians to escalate calls for rights despite Israeli excessive force
NTF should be retained even after pandemic due to effectiveness in curbing cross border crime, says Chief of Defence Force have 775 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at September 14, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.