BANGKOK – A paramotoring enthusiast in northern Thailand has taken to the skies to help deliver urgently needed supplies to people cut off by floods.
Thrill-seeker Vichai Tiyasan, 38, has been motoring over waterlogged lands to drop off dry food and essential items in Sukhothai, one of 30 provinces impacted by floods in the past week.
Footage of his ultralight aviation endeavours have been shared widely on social media.
“The flood covers most areas of Sukhothai province. The situation is worse comparing to the past years,” Vichai told Reuters by phone.
A paramotor, also known as a powered paraglider, comprises a back-mounted metal frame with a propeller driven by a petrol-fuelled motor resembling a giant household fan.
The pilot can steer it using brake toggles that are similar to that of a parachutist.
At least six people died and two were missing in the floods, according to the disaster agency, which has also issued flood warnings in areas along the Chaophraya river, including the capital Bangkok.
Thailand is no stranger to flooding and in 2011 was hit by its worst floods in half a century, in a crisis that lasted months and saw hundreds of people killed, heavy industry devastated and many parts of the capital paralysed.
- Thai cave rescue: Operation resumes for boys still trapped inside cave
- Houston TranStar develops flood warning system for local roads
- Floods Displace Thousands In Myanmar, Landslide Claims 2 Dozen Lives
- Thai Rescuers Find Missing Soccer Team Alive in Cave
- The Very Real Risks of Rescuing Boys Trapped in Thai Cave
- Thai Rescue Diver Dead After Falling Unconscious In Cave
- ‘Everyone is Safe’ — Daring rescue of Thai soccer team ends
- Photos show the daring rescue efforts that brought 4 members of the Thai soccer team to safety
- Diver Dies During Rescue Efforts for Cave-Trapped Thai Boys
- Donald Trump to Carolina Storm Victims: ‘Our Hearts Break for You’
- There are 3 ways to get the trapped Thai soccer team out of the cave they’re stuck in – and none will be easy
- Elon Musk Sends SpaceX Engineers to Aid Soccer Team Trapped in Thai Cave
- Dropping Oxygen Levels, Monsoon Season Threaten Teens’ Rescue from Thailand Cave
- Thai Cave Rescue: How Elon Musk’s 'Kid-Size' Submarine Could Assist Mission
- Here's how you can help victims of Hurricane Michael
- A second victim has died in the Texas flooding, but the Llano River is going down
- Drone pilots' paydays drop 90 percent in 'race to the bottom'
- See the 'Space Jellyfish' and Other Jaw-Dropping Views from SpaceX's Dragon Launch
- ‘Time is running out’: Inside the treacherous rescue of boys trapped in Thai cave
- The Latest: 2 more ambulances leave site of Thai cave
Thai volunteer takes to skies to drop supplies to flood victims have 432 words, post on www.asiaone.com at September 29, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.