Vietnam drew 1-1 with the Czech Republic in their final Group D match at the FIFA Futsal World Cup Lithuania 2021 at the Kaunas Arena on Sunday night to advance to the Round of 16 as one of the best third-placed finishers.
Both teams went into the game tied at three points, but the Czech Republic came close to scoring through Lukas Krivanek, Michal Seidler, and Lukas Resetar in the first minute.
The Czech Republic continued putting pressure on Vietnam with more dangerous attacks, but keeper Ho Van Y was the Southeast Asian side's hero as he successfully protected their net.
Vietnam also had their fair share of chances but Nguyen Minh Tri and Vu Duc Tung both wasted the opportunities as the score remained 0-0 at the break.
It was the same scenario after the restart with the Czechs dictating play.
Vietnam broke the deadlock in the 35th minute through Chau Doan Phat, who finished off an excellent team move.
The lead, however, lasted a mere seconds as the Czech Republic equalized through Lukas Resetar's strike.
Keeper Ho Van Y was voted Man of the Match as Vietnam secured a spot in the knockout stage of the tournament following the tie.
|Vietnam's players celebrate Chau Doan Phat's goal in their match against the Czech Republic at the FIFA Futsal World Cup Lithuania 2021, September 19, 2021. Photo: Vietnam Football Federation|
The Golden Stars will meet Russia, who topped Group B, in the Round of 16.
They are also the first Asian team to play as one of the last 16 in two successive Futsal World Cups.
Brazil won Group D with nine points, followed by the Czech Republic, while Panama were last-placed and eliminated.
The 2021 FIFA Futsal World Cup in Lithuania runs from September 12 to October 3.
Of the 24 participating teams, the leaders and runners-up of each of the six groups, as well as the four best third-placed squads, will qualify for the knockout phase.
This is the second time that Vietnam have played in a FIFA Futsal World Cup tournament, following their participation in the 2016 edition in Colombia, where they were eliminated by Russia in the Round of 16.
- USA drawn into Group F alongside Thailand, Chile and Sweden for 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- Women’s World Cup Draw: U.S. to play Thailand, Chile and Sweden in France in 2019
- US Women's National Team's 2019 World Cup send-off set for NJ in May
- Football Ferns coach Tom Sermanni says 2019 World Cup draw 'not insurmountable'
- Thursday’s Sports Digest: Vonn skipping World Cup races to rest her ailing knees
- Silva heaps praise on Pickford and Mina after Chelsea draw
- Son sets the standard as Korea Republic take top spot
- Can China Turn the Middle of Nowhere Into the Center of the World Economy?
- Atlanta seeks rare sports title in MLS Cup final
- Year in Review 2018: From ‘American Dreams’ to ‘Boogieban,’ standouts on Northeast Ohio stages
Vietnam through to FIFA Futsal World Cup knockout stage after draw with Czech Republic have 494 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 20, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.