The President of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, claimed that he was barred from a football match on Oct. 10 as the home club forbade unvaccinated people from entering their stadium, Reuters reported.
Refused to get vaxxed
Besides vaccinated people, soccer club Santos allowed those who had a negative polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to enter as well.
This protocol was agreed by the Brazilian soccer confederation, AP reported.
The 66-year-old president, has refused to receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and claimed that he had more antibodies than vaccinated individuals after contracting the virus in July 2020, Brazilian media Metrópoles reported.
Brazil has recorded over 600,000 deaths and 21.5 million cases of Covid-19, according to data from Our World in Data .
Questioned Covid-19 protocols and “vaccine passport”
Bolsonaro said that he was spending his weekend in the nearby town of Guarujá, before travelling to Santos for the football match, according to Metrópoles.
The match at Santos’ home stadium was the first time the club allowed supporters to be present since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Reuters reported.
When speaking to the media, the politician questioned the Covid-19 protocols and the rationale behind the “vaccine passport”.
— Metrópoles (@Metropoles) October 10, 2021
Football clubs in the Brazilian championship are reportedly allowed to fill the stadiums up to 30 per cent of their capacities, in observance of prevailing Covid-19 protocols.
Thousands protest against Bolsonaro
Meanwhile, Bolsonaro is facing criticisms at home for his management of the pandemic, which has seen more than 600,000 people die.
Thousands of Brazilians have taken to the streets on Oct. 2 to demand his dismissal, the BBC reported.
Flouted rules to speak at UN General Assembly
Bolsonaro had recently flouted Covid-19 regulations when he appeared at the United Nations General Assembly on Sep. 21 to deliver an address, The Washington Post reported.
The event, which focused on the international response to the Covid-19 crisis, had required all participants to be fully vaccinated.
Prior to the event, Bolsonaro was seen eating pizza with his delegates on the street of New York on the night of Sep. 19, with speculations that he was avoiding indoor dining regulations where the vaccine mandate applies.
— Ministro Luiz Ramos (@MinLuizRamos) September 20, 2021
Follow and listen to our podcast here
Top image via Mauro Pimentel/AFP/Getty Images
- Mia Hamm: The most powerful woman in football?
- Brazil Exorcise Paraguay Penalty Demons To Reach Copa America Semis
- Women's World Cup: 'Football is life' -- Nigeria's plan to become a force in women's football
- Which football stadiums are lopsided, three-sided or just downright wonky?
- AIFF Appoints Igor Stimac As Indian Football Team Coach
- The gentle pleasures of watching football in the Scottish Borders
- Lionel Messi Free To Leave At End Of Season, Barcelona President Confirms Stunning Clause In Contract
- Football is addicted to gambling – and it’s harming children
- Let Football Players Wear The Glue Gloves
- Messi On Copa América: "I Think The Cup Is Fixed For Brazil"
- Indian Super League Making a Big Splash
- The Sport That Can't Stick To Sports
- Women's World Cup: As champions for equality, USWNT to be admired in its fight for lasting change
- Relief for Marco Silva after Everton’s Holgate and Richarlison sink Watford
- Neymar Pledges To "Give My Life To PSG"
- Brazilian rapper MC Daleste fatally shot on stage
- Real Kashmir FC Qualify For I-League
- Lyon vs Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar Saves PSG To Send French Champions Three Points Clear
- Vorskla vs Arsenal live score and goal updates
- Premier League: Jordan Henderson Humdinger Helps Liverpool Sink Chelsea
Brazil's president barred from football match as club doesn't allow unvaccinated spectators have 645 words, post on mothership.sg at October 30, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.