(Reuters) -The murder rate in Canada last year rose to its highest level since 2005, pushed up in part by the country’s worst-ever mass shooting, in which 22 people died, Statistics Canada said on Thursday.
Statscan also noted societal stresses it said had been caused by lockdowns linked to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Canadian police reported 743 murders in 2020, up from 687 in 2019. The murder rate increased to 1.95 per 100,000 people, the highest in 15 years, from 1.83 per 100,000 people in 2019.
The Canadian rate has gradually declined since its last recent peak in 1991 of 2.69 homicides per 100,000 population.
“While homicide continues to be a relatively rare occurrence, representing less than 0.2% of all violent crimes in Canada in 2020, homicide rates are considered benchmarks for levels of violence,” Statscan said in a commentary.
By comparison, the overall U.S. murder rate in 2020 was around 6.5 homicides per 100,000 people, according to FBI data.
The Canadian increase was driven by more murders in the provinces of Alberta and Nova Scotia.
Gabriel Wortman killed 13 people in Nova Scotia on the night of April 18, 2020, and another nine the next day before police shot him dead.
This contributed to an “uncharacteristically high homicide count and rate for the province,” Statscan said.
The two most populated cities in Alberta, Calgary and Edmonton, recorded large increases, and each contributed 15 more murders to the national tally than in 2019.
Toronto, Canada’s largest city, saw a 22% decrease in the rate of firearm-related homicides from 1.03 per 100,000
population to 0.80.
There were 15 more firearm-related killings in Canada last year, compared with 2019, and gang-related murders decreased 10% in the same period.
(Reporting by Ismail Shakil in Bengaluru and David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Editing by Giles Elgood and Jonathan Oatis)
- Why it’s so hard to convict a cop of murder: just 5 in 15 years
- Batten down the hatches! Once in 15 years polar blast to hit Australia TODAY with freak snowfall and icy winds set to blanket the eastern states ahead of the coldest day of the year
- Coroner attributes California death to Vegas mass shooting
- Sweden Sees Lowest Population Growth in 15 Years as Pandemic Stalls Mass Migration
- New Zealand mass shooting survivors describe ongoing pain
- Report: Murder Rate Spikes In 20 Major American Cities
- Brits now more likely to die from cancer than 15 years ago because of coronavirus
- One dead in Philadelphia shooting, 1 critical, victims include 15-year-old
- Number of shoppers hitting England's High Streets surges by 51% as non essential retailers including clothes shops and department stores reopen after lockdown
- The Movie Nudity Maestro: Jim McBride on 15 Years of Mr. Skin and That Scarlett Johansson Scene
- Elon Musk Becomes World’s Fourth-Richest Man After Tesla Shares Hit All-Time High
- Donald Trump's Disapproval Rating Hits Six-Month High Amid George Floyd Protests
- Flashback: Chicago’s Murder Rate Was Even Higher During Handgun Ban
- Inflation hits 11 months high to 12.82% in July — NBS
- Detached from reality? Why U.S. stocks just hit a new high
- Detached from reality? Why US stocks just hit a new high
- Nifty50 valuation hits all-time high as investors bid up share prices
- Trump’s Immigration Arrests Fall Short of Obama Years High – For Now
- Xi Focus: 15 years on, sustainability shines brighter with Xi's hallmark green development saying
- Britain could go into a SECOND national lockdown if it sees a rise in cases like Spain, senior official warns amid fears Britain's R rate could now be as high as 1.1 and households in Oldham and Blackburn are banned from meeting together
Canada murder rate in 2020 hits 15-year high, pushed up by mass shooting have 543 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at November 26, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.