KOTA KINABALU: A bakery here has lost its halal certification after traces of porcine DNA were found in its mooncakes.
Sabah Islamic Religious Council (MUIS) secretary Ramlan Awang Ali said as such, Port View Euro Bakery Sdn Bhd’s mooncakes did not comply with syariah requirements.
He said that testing by the Chemistry Department as well as the Energy, Science, Technology, Environment and Climate Change Ministry found porcine DNA in a sample of the moon cake. The report of the test was received on Nov 1.
The company was immediately barred from using the “Halal Malaysia” logo within or outside their premises or any of their products, he said.
“MUIS has taken action by freezing the company’s renewal application and declaration in the MyeHalal system and withdrawing its Malaysian Halal Certification,” he added.
He said the Sabah Islamic Religious Affairs Department (JHEAINS) carried out an investigation with the Sabah Health Department and the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry on Sept 23.
This was after a complaint lodged against the company on Sept 16.
Ramlan said that MUIS received a full report on Nov 16 and asked Port View Euro Bakery management for more information on Nov 19.
“MUIS found that the company’s Halal Certificate had expired on May 15, 2021 and the company admitted an error had occurred.
MUIS also advised all parties who use Malaysian halal certificates and logos to safeguard the interests and sensitivities of the Muslim community and ensure that food, products or consumer goods produced are always Shariah compliant.
- A Nintendo-Inspired DNA Scanner Could Help Crack Down on Wildlife Identity Theft
- Vaccine rumours debunked: Microchips, 'altered DNA' and more
- What happened to Jill Dando? Five unanswered theories in unsolved Crimewatch star's murder case
- Measles Outbreak: What Are Religious Exemptions for Vaccinations?
- The mystery of the baby in the box
- In the Land of Missing Persons
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JULY 24
- 21 YA Novels With Disabled And Chronically Ill Characters
- Many Public Companies That Got PPP Loans Had Lots In The Bank
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JULY 25
- 'I was found as a baby wrapped in my mum's coat – but who am I?'
- Cold case which baffled detectives for 58 years finally solved after Facebook tip
- California Moves Toward Easing Coronavirus Restrictions on Business
- Killer dumped mum's body in crocodile infested water – but was caught by tiny rope fibre
- Can America Put Itself Back Together?
- Who Decides Who Counts as Native American?
- American woman reunited with family 25 years after she was trafficked as an infant
- EXPLAINER: How Vaccine Passports for Global Travel Will Work, The Future of Air Travel
- The NCAA Sold Fans a Multibillion-Dollar Story. It May Finally Be Coming Apart.
- Esther Dingley more likely to have ‘lost her way & fallen off a mountain’ than be a victim of a crime, expert claims
KK bakery loses halal certification, mooncakes found with traces of porcine DNA have 446 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at November 24, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.