New England Revolution midfielder Carles Gil was named the 2021 MLS Comeback Player of the Year on Wednesday.
The 29-year-old Spaniard missed most of last season with an Achilles injury.
The Revolution captain returned to register a league-high 18 assists and four goals while guiding his team to the Supporters’ Shield with an MLS single-season record 73 points.
Gil received 15.2 percent of the votes by MLS technical staff, players and media members, edging out LA Galaxy striker Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez (12.7 percent) and Sporting Kansas City forward Daniel Salloi (12.6).
Gil is the second Revs player to win the award, joining Kevin Alston (2013).
Top-seeded New England will host No. 4 seed New York City FC in the Eastern Conference semifinals of the MLS Cup playoffs on Nov. 30.
–Field Level Media
- NFL Honors: Ryan Tannehill wins AP Comeback Player of the Year for stunning 2019 season
- Leicester City’s Nathan Dyer breaks Aston Villa in dramatic comeback
- Ibrahimovic to LA Galaxy? Beckham, Drogba, Pirlo and the other stars to try MLS
- Liverpool's Georginio Wijnaldum supports Jurgen Klopp's decision to rest players against Shrewsbury
- Lamar Jackson named NFL's MVP, joins Tom Brady as only unanimous selections
- African players in Europe: FA Cup success for Nigeria’s Isaac Success
- J.J. Watt: What to Know About the Texans Player and 'SNL' Host
- IPL 2020: Know salary of Rohit Sharma and other Mumbai Indians players, purse remaining, costliest buy
- The Latest: Calais Campbell chosen NFL Man of the Year
- DJ Khaled reveals newborn son's name is Alam... as he pays tribute to Nipsey Hussle in Grammy acceptance speech
- Three Premier League players who should have moved in January
- Grammy nominees Billie Eilish, Lil Nas X and Lizzo are among the stars performing at this year's show
- Song of the Year nominee Lewis Capaldi admits he was mistaken for a SEAT-FILLER as he attends Grammy Awards for first time
- The Latest: The comeback Chiefs are Super Bowl champions
- Alabama the favorite to reel in North Carolina transfer TE Carl Tucker
- North Carolina transfer TE Carl Tucker opts for Alabama over Florida State, others
- USMNT: Gregg Berhalter names roster for upcoming friendly vs. Costa Rica
- Super Bowl 2020: Ranking all 53 Super Bowls ever played, including where last year's Patriots win falls
- Super Bowl 2020: Ranking all 53 Super Bowls in NFL history, including where last year's Patriots win falls
- Super Bowl 2020: All 53 Super Bowls in NFL history ranked, including where last year's Patriots win falls
Revs' Carles Gil named MLS Comeback Player of the Year have 379 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.