ISTANBUL (Reuters) – Sebastien Haller continued his Champions League scoring spree with two second-half goals as Ajax Amsterdam came from behind to beat Besiktas 2-1 on Wednesday and clinch top spot in Group C.
Haller came off the bench at the start of the second half and netted goals in the 54th and 69th minutes as Ajax overturned a halftime deficit to keep up their 100% run in the group.
The 27-year-old Haller has nine goals in five games in the group phase, tied with Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich in this season’s Champions League scoring charts.
Besiktas, who have lost all five of their group matches, went ahead after Ajax fullback Noussair Mazraoui handled the ball and Rachid Ghezzal tucked away a 22nd-minute spot kick.
But Ajax did not take long to impose their supremacy and equalised after a long pass out of defence from Lisandro Martinez set Nicolas Tagliafico away down the left wing and his square ball provided an easy conversion for Haller.
Ajax's winner came from Dusan Tadic's free kick, initially falling to Martinez who miss-hit his shot but Haller stuck out a lanky leg to steer the ball home.
Haller had the ball in the net in stoppage time but his team mate David Neres was offside to deny him a hat-trick.
Ajax, who rested several regulars in Wednesday's game, can complete a full house of wins when they conclude the group campaign at home to Portuguese side Sporting on Dec. 7.
(Writing by Mark Gleeson in Cape Town; Editing by Toby Davis)
- ‘100 Percent Innocent’: Alabama Man Nathaniel Woods Set to Be Executed Despite Outcry
- The Record of Human Rights Violations in the United States in 2019
- Giuliani responds to release of secret Trump-Cohen recording
- Megan Thee Stallion Fights Her Record Label’s ‘Greedy Game’: ‘I Want My Rights’
- North Korea Claims It Has No Coronavirus Cases As South Korean Media Reports More Than 100 Soldier Deaths
- BMW Group Cutting 50 Percent Of 'Traditional Drivetrain Variants'
- NBA Power Ranking: Clippers are New #1 With Chances Growing Double Digits in One Night
- AMD Earnings: Next-Gen RDNA in 2020, Quarterly Revenue up 50 Percent
- With Total Dhamaal, Ajay Devgn is set to maintain his 4-year zero flop streak
- Leaked email quotes Tesla CEO Elon Musk saying the company has 'a shot' at delivering 100,000 cars this quarter, causing the electric automaker's shares to jump 6%
- Hyundai Motor’s profit tumbles 39 percent on weak car sales
- Year 2020 Set to Shatter Meth Seizure Records, DEA Data Show
- Nifty may rebound to 11,500; bet on DLF, IOC, Maruti for double-digit returns
- Over 100 tourist sites resume operation in Xinjiang
- Market in bear grip since 2018: Time to buy is when Nifty falls to 10,100–9,850 levels
- Reds get back on track
- Inside the Koch Brothers’ Toxic Empire
- The Hill's Morning Report - Can Trump, Congress agree on coronavirus package?
- Denzel Washington on the club that made him the man he is today
- Pelosi Suggests She Was Going To Do Something Much Worse Than Rip Up Speech
Soccer-Haller at the double as Ajax maintain 100 percent record have 482 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.