MOSCOW (Reuters) – Spartak Moscow boosted their hopes of reaching the Europa League knockout stages after two goals from striker Aleksandr Sobolev helped them to a 2-1 home win over Napoli in a Group C match played in driving snow on Wednesday.
Spartak top the group on seven points from five games, above Napoli on a better head-to-head record as they completed the double over the Serie A leaders having beaten them 3-2 in the reverse fixture.
Third-placed Legia Warsaw have six points from four games, one more than Leicester City ahead of their visit to the English side on Thursday.
Sobolev fired Spartak ahead with a third-minute penalty and made it 2-0 with a far-post header in the 28th after goalkeeper Aleksandr Selikhov had denied Napoli with three superb stops.
Selikhov thwarted Eljif Elmas with a double save from close range and pawed away Piotr Zielinski’s shot on the turn, having also kept out a fierce Dries Mertens effort early in the second half.
The keeper was powerless in the 64th minute when Elmas beat him with a downward header from six metres after Andrea Petagna chipped a perfect cross into the midfielder.
Livewire Elmas came close to grabbing a 90th-minute equaliser but Selikhov again came out on top as he clawed out his shot, with Spartak hanging on in stoppage time.
(Writing by Zoran Milosavljevic; Editing by Ed Osmond)
- Cork City back on top of Premier Division table after victory over Derry City
- Celtic have shot at historic double-treble, says Craig Gordon
- Juventus close in on seventh straight title as Donnarumma dents Napoli ambitions
- Prep roundup: Sycamore baseball defense shines; DeKalb soccer with another shutout; DeKalb baseball notches conference iwn
- Galaxy hit back to claim derby draw
- Wayne Rooney scores first MLS goal as DC United end winless run
- OUCH! Wayne Rooney scores first MLS goal – but breaks nose – as DC United end winless run
- Wolves move to brink of Premier League with win over Derby
- Here is how the games in Spain, Italy, Germany and France finished.
- Paul Scholes hopes to see Gareth Bale join Manchester United but feels move is unlikely
- Who wants to see some Kylian flair?
- Luis Suarez ends Champions League drought as Barcelona put four past Roma
- Cardiff stop rot as late show sinks Norwich
- You have to say that’s magnifique: Mbappe's most memorable moments
- On This Day, April 7, 2012: St Michael's have their Hogan Cup dreams ended
- Banks Get Distracted by the World Cup
- U.S., Canada, Mexico Unite Long Enough to Win 2026 World Cup Bid
- Zeljko Buvac
- Italian Serie A: Icardi misses 2 easy chances as Inter draws 0-0 at Milan
- Maradona’s role as paid ambassador for Fifa comes under scrutiny following boorish behaviour
Soccer-Sobolev double earns Spartak victory over Napoli have 436 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at November 25, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.