PETALING JAYA: Parents and not teachers should conduct the weekly Covid-19 tests on primary school pupils, says the National Union of the Teaching Profession (NUTP).
Its secretary-general Wang Heng Suan said the tests of the selected pupils should be carried out by parents at home a day before class, using the self-test kits provided.
The result will then be sent to the pupil's class teacher and if it is negative, Wang said the pupil will be allowed to attend school that day.
"We feel that through this method, we can prevent the spread of Covid-19 to teachers and school staff, which would cause schools to close if a pupil tests positive (on school grounds).
"We hope the Education Ministry will consider changing the standard operating procedure for the safety and health of our pupils, teachers and staff," he said in a statement on Thursday (Dec 2).
He said among the feedback NUTP received from teachers was that making them conduct the test is dangerous and risky as they are not provided with any protection such as personal protective equipment (PPE), gloves or face shields.
"We strongly disagree that teachers were asked to conduct Covid-19 tests on primary school pupils.
"The pupils are not able to carry out the tests on their own," he added.
- No requirement for students, teachers to bring COVID-19 test reports, says Punjab health dept
- School's out... again! Dozens of headteachers send pupils home amid Covid-19 outbreaks at schools across the UK
- COVID-19 | Testing declines yet again on a Sunday
- Private schools in Noida struggle for attendance as parents still wary of COVID-19
- Primary school pupils pictured returning to class for first time since lockdown
- Older teachers in Italy fear Covid-19 risks as schools return
- Now people are ordering TOO MANY Covid-19 tests: Matt Hancock claims unacceptable number of 'ineligible' people are asking for swabs without having any symptoms in warning they are overloading the system
- Coronavirus: 'Waste and corruption on a cosmic scale': Plans for 10 million COVID-19 tests attacked
- The hottest new amenity for the rich? On-demand doctors and COVID-19 tests
- Michigan Teachers Get COVID-19 Hazard Pay, State Passes COVID Education Bills
NUTP: Safer for parents rather than teachers to conduct weekly Covid-19 tests on primary school pupils have 355 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at December 3, 2021. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.