SINGAPORE – Singapore had record low international arrivals in 2021, but saw signs of recovery after introducing a quarantine waiver system for vaccinated visitors and offering cash vouchers, its tourism authority said on Tuesday (Jan 25).
Singapore had 330,000 international arrivals in 2021, the lowest since the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) started tracking the numbers in the 1970s, data showed. That was less than two per cent of the pre-pandemic visitor number.
Revenue was an estimated $1.9 billion in 2021, also one of the lowest on record. In comparison, Singapore had 19.1 million visitors and generated $27.1 billion in 2019.
For much of 2020 and last year, Singapore tightly controlled arrivals to the city-state, requiring those who entered to quarantine for up to two weeks.
It introduced quarantine waivers for vaccinated visitors from certain countries from September last year.
China was the top source of visitors, with 88,000 arrivals between January and December 2021, STB said, compared to 3.6 million in 2019.
Strict Chinese Covid-19 policies that discourage overseas travel have hurt tourism globally.
- Breast cancer screening falls to a record low as nearly 800,000 women TURNED DOWN their mammogram last year, official figures reveal
- Uninsured rate in California drops to record low, CDC estimates
- Cigarette smoking falls to record low in the United States
- Historic Arctic blast that has set record low single digit temperatures from Chicago to Texas, left six dead and brutalized 200 MILLION people is only expected to get WORSE
- $83billion wiped off the ASX, dollar at GFC levels and bond yields plunge to a record low over Trump's China trade war - so is Australia at the edge of DISASTER?
- Sea Ice Hits Record Lows at Both Poles
- Record-Low Temperature Tied In Maryland Wednesday
- Indian solar power prices hit record low, undercutting fossil fuels
- RBA cuts cash rate to new record low of 1 per cent
- Chile protests: hundreds of thousands take part as peso hits record low
Visitors to Singapore fall to record low in 2021 have 298 words, post on www.asiaone.com at January 26, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.