One person died after a fire broke out in an HDB flat in Bedok North on Friday (May 13) morning.
In a Facebook post on the same day, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted to a fire at Block 409 Bedok North Avenue 2 at about 6:35am on May 13.
The first SCDF responders arrived in six minutes.
The fire involved the contents of a living room in a unit on the fourth floor.
SCDF extinguished the fire with one water jet.
Three taken to hospital, one pronounced dead
During the firefighting operation, SCDF said they found four unconscious persons in the unit amidst a vast accumulation of combustible items.
Three persons, including a toddler, were found in the bedroom while one person was found in the living room.
Due to the clutter in the bedroom, firefighters had to force their way into the bedroom to conduct the rescue operation.
SCDF’s emergency medical services crew then commenced cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on two of the victims.
All three persons were subsequently conveyed to Changi General Hospital.
The person found in the living room was pronounced dead at the scene by an SCDF paramedic.
Cause of fire under investigation
SCDF also conducted forcible entry into an adjacent residential unit and rescued three persons.
They were assessed for minor injuries and subsequently refused conveyance to the hospital.
According to SCDF, a total of 60 persons were evacuated from neighbouring units as a precautionary measure.
The cause of fire is under investigation, SCDF said.
Mother and toddler taken to hospital
Member of Parliament (MP) for East Coast GRC, Tan Kiat How, said in a Facebook post following the incident that “most residents are ok”.
He added that, unfortunately, a mother and a young toddler was sent to hospital.
“My thoughts are with them and I hope they will be alright,” Tan said.
He also said:
“Our grassroots leaders are helping families who have asked to temporarily evacuate. We have opened up the rooms at HeartbeatBedok to hold everyone.
I thank residents for their cooperation and understanding. I am also grateful to @myscdf for their quick response. The agencies will look into the cause of this fire.”
Top images from Tan Kiat How/FB & SCDF/FB.
- California Seeks Federal Aid to Fight Wildfires; 7th Person Dies
- Three policemen died in Hanoi's Dong Tam disturbance
- Ambulance crew went to Caroline Flack's flat the day BEFORE the 40-year-old Love Island star killed herself and conducted a clinical assessment but did NOT take her to hospital
- 'Dying of starvation': Public housing residents break down in tears revealing they've only eaten four sausage rolls since nine towers were forced into lockdown
- EXCLUSIVE: Bob Hawke's daughter is still living in a 'cockroach-infested' suburban flat after she settled her $4.2million claim against the former PM's glamorous second wife - so who was the winner?
- Europe on red alert for coronavirus: North Macedonia and Greece confirm cases, France announces its second death, Italy's infection toll nears 400 with 12 dead and Austria quarantines a dozen people
- 'Robert, I Love You. Rest In Peace!': Donald Trump holds funeral service at the White House for his younger brother Robert who died last week aged 71 - the first such ceremony held there since the death of JFK in 1963
- The psychology behind why some college students break Covid-19 rules
- More than 1,000 people in the US have died of coronavirus nearly every day this month
- Crews on LNU Complex fires catch a break as red flag warning expires early
1 person dies after fire breaks out in Bedok North flat have 587 words, post on mothership.sg at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.