BANGKOK, May 21 (The Nation Thailand/ANN): Young children will only need half the adult dose of Moderna Covid-19 vaccine, according to the Thai importer of the jabs.
The Thailand Food and Drug Administration approved the use of Moderna vaccine in children aged 6-11 last week.
"Recipients in this age group will receive two jabs of Moderna at 50 micrograms each at an interval of 28 days," said Sunaina Kitkasetpaisal, general manager of vaccine importer ZP Therapeutics Zuellig Pharma Thailand.
Studies show that two doses of 50mg for children aged 6-11 are as effective against Covid-19 as two 100mg doses in adults aged 18-25, she added.
She said Australia, Canada and European countries had already approved the use of Moderna vaccine in children aged six and over.
Moderna is an mRNA (messenger ribonucleic acid) vaccine that stimulates the body's cells to create a protein similar to the spike of the Covid-19 virus. This protein then stimulates an immune response in the body that protects against infection.
"We are glad to play a part in supporting the government's plan to transition to endemic Covid-19 in the near future," Sunaina said.
The government has set a tentative deadline of July to declare Covid-19 endemic.
On Saturday, Thailand recorded 5,377 new Covid-19 cases and 37 deaths. Meanwhile 5,775 patients recovered and left hospitals. Cumulative cases since the beginning of the year stand at 2,183,320.
As of Friday, Thailand had administered just over 136 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine. Of these, 56.563 million were first jabs, 52.108 million second jabs, and 27.391 million were boosters. – The Nation Thailand/ANN
- Gifted kids can be more sensitive to screen violence, study says
- You CAN get mumps even if you've had the MMR vaccine: Why every 18-year-old should have a booster jab to prevent life-changing side effects
- Large increase in demand for flu vaccine leads to rationing in Victoria, New South Wales
- Alcohol in breast milk may lead to lower cognition in kids, study finds
- Half of teens think they're addicted to their smartphones
- Xplora 3S impressions: A kids smartwatch for calls and location tracking
- 11-Month-Old Suffers Stroke After Chickenpox — Shining a Light on the Importance of Vaccines
- 'Worry is contagious': the vaccine-hesitant parents putting children at risk
- Donald Trump publicly spars with nation's top coronavirus expert Dr Tony Fauci as he demands vaccine in a 'couple of months' - and epidemic chief tells him: 'Like I told you, a year.'
- Human trials of coronavirus vaccines could start next MONTH in the UK and US in global race to stop the killer disease which has infected 94,000 people worldwide
Kids in Thailand aged 6-11 will only need half adult dose of Moderna, says vaccine provider have 421 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 21, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.