SEREMBAN: State authorities will deepen rivers at 10 locations in Negri Sembilan after several low-lying areas here were hit by flash floods, says Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Aminuddin Harun.
He said the state executive council decided on this after several areas along Sungai Linggi were inundated on Tuesday night.
"We have to immediately take steps to deepen the rivers, especially Sungai Linggi, so that we can effectively address flash floods.
"The state government will work with the private sector and the matter will be finalised next week," he told reporters here yesterday.
Several areas including Kampung Singh, Block C, Happy Garden, Kampung Semarak, Kampung Ismail, Jalan Tunku Kurshiah, England Garden and Taman Nyiur Hijau were affected following continuous heavy rain.
Several other areas in the state such as in Linggi were also hit by flash floods.
In November 2000, some 400 households and business premises in the Seremban and Rasah areas suffered huge losses after Sungai Linggi broke its banks.
The state government compensated each owner RM500 at the time.
In total, some 1,000 premises were affected by floods throughout the state then, including Sungai Rokan in Gemencheh and Dangi in Kuala Pilah.
- Flash Flooding Closes Roads
- 2 Michigan dams breached, thousands evacuated amid flooding
- Michigan Gov. Whitmer pleads for federal aid from Trump to help deal with catastrophic '500-year flood' caused by dam breaches after the president threatened to cut funding because they sent voters mail-in ballot applications
- Midland floods after dams fail, record water level recorded
- Significant Rainfall Causes Flooding In LaGrange
- More than 10,000 people are evacuated as TWO Michigan dams burst and Gov. Whitmer warns one city it could be under NINE FEET of water in hours as floods hammer the Midwest
- Tornado touchdowns, widespread flooding in Chicago area as storm system brings 'very heavy rain'
- Michigan flood hits record level, dam breaches 'historic event' playing out in midst of coronavirus, Whitmer says
- Shocking satellite images show damage caused by massive Michigan floods after dams broke during heavy rain
- Flooding hits parts of Midwest, with evacuations in Michigan
Negri to deepen rivers to address flash flood issue have 332 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 26, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.