PETALING JAYA: No tiger has escaped from the national zoo’s enclosure, says Zoo Negara in response to claims of tiger sightings at Kemensah Heights in Taman Melawati.
A voice recording and message circulated on WhatsApp that went viral on Friday (May 20) claimed that a tiger was seen roaming the area near Jalan Tiara Kemensah 3 at around midnight.
The message also noted that a police report was lodged at the Melawati police station.
Some have speculated that the tiger could have escaped from the national zoo.
Zoo Negara deputy president Rosly @ Rahmat Ahmat Lana said all of its tigers are safe in their sanctuary, adding that it is "impossible" for them to get out.
"We have our standard operating procedures (SOP) and our tigers have to get through at least three layers of security through the back of the enclosure.
"It is also impossible for a tiger to jump over the moat because there is not enough distance for a run," he said when contacted by The Star.
Rosly said the Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) sent a team to inspect the area, but no paw prints had been found yet.
The Star has reached out to Perhilitan for comment and is awaiting its response.
- London Zoo celebrates birth of one of the world’s rarest tigers, as adorable footage captures the cub’s first few moments
- Lions and tigers, and bears! (And a sloth called Terry): London Zoo keepers count more than 400 species for their annual stocktake
- Tiger attacks 3 zookeepers after faulty door left them in enclosure with the 400lb male
- Inside Netflix’s dramatic Tiger King 2 which launches TODAY with major plot twist and could see Joe Exotic finally freed
- Gov't proposes use of tracker collars on Malayan tigers
- Two Vaccinated Tigers At ZooTampa Test Positive For COVID-19
- How exotic animal industry is fraught with ‘murder’, suicide & mystery – as Carole Baskin blasts ‘wretched’ zoos
- 'Tiger King' star Jeff Lowe's zoo raided by authorities who seized 68 animals
- Joe Exotic Tiger King season 2: Where is Joe Exotic now?
- "You big doofus!" Watch happy Siberian tiger roll around in snow
Tiger sighting: It's not one of ours, says Zoo Negara have 359 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 20, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.