INSPIRED by Penang Yang di-Pertua Negri Tun Ahmad Fuzi Abdul Razak's keen interest in astronomy, his alma mater Bukit Mertajam High School (HSBM) plans to build an astronomical observatory for students and the community.
The centre, estimated to cost around RM250,000, will house the latest optical equipment and tools for astronomical studies, including telescope systems and a classroom space where students can explore not just the solar system but also galaxies far away.
The project's groundbreaking ceremony will be held today in conjunction with the Governor's Day celebration at the school.
"The alumni committee together with the school's Parent-Teacher Association welcome Tun Ahmad Fuzi to celebrate his first anniversary as Penang governor," said HSBM Alumni Malaysia president Datuk S. Kulasegaran ( pic below ) at a press conference.
Ahmad Fuzi was appointed on April 30 last year.
Some 2,000 guests are expected to attend the celebration, including around 1,500 students.
"As Tun Ahmad Fuzi is an astronomy enthusiast, the school will set up the HSBM Tun Ahmad Fuzi Astronomical Observatory Centre.
"The project will be sponsored by Radiance Assets Bhd.
"It is hoped that the school will see a confluence of astronomy enthusiasts on the Penang mainland," said Kulasegaran.
Bukit Mertajam High School alumni committee members ready to welcome old boy Tun Ahmad Fuzi.
Another building renamed to honour Ahmad Fuzi is the school's surau.
During the celebration, there will also be a tree-planting activity to mark Ahmad Fuzi's visit to the school as governor of Penang.
"Tun Ahmad Fuzi has visited the school many times before as an old boy.
"He was instrumental in the implementation of several school projects," said Kulasegaran.
- Detroit Police Seek Suspect In Fatal Shooting Of 16-Year-Old Boy
- At Least 17 Killed In Shootings In Chicago This Weekend, Including 1-Year-Old Boy And 10-Year-Old Girl
- Tragedy at soft play centre: Eight-year-old boy suffers cardiac arrest and dies in front of young children and parents
- Rescuers fight to reach 5-year-old boy trapped in 200-foot well in India
- Two-year-old boy dies after sweeper administers wrong injection in Mumbai hospital
- 15-Year-Old Boy Dies After Being Shot In Pasadena; Suspect Charged With Murder
- Pakistani 14-year-old Boy Shoots Entire Family Dead Under 'PUBG Influence'
- Woman, 49, is arrested on suspicion of murder after body of five-year-old boy was found in house in Coventry
- Rescuers fear for life of 5-year-old boy trapped in a well
- Gran, 49, detained after her grandson, 5, found stabbed to death as heartbroken mum & dad pay tribute to ‘happiest boy’
Tribute to stargazing old boy have 417 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at May 21, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.