A fire broke out in the living room of a Bedok North flat on early Friday morning, May 13.
A total of four people were found unconscious in the Block 409 Bedok North Avenue 2 unit when Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) personnel arrived at the fourth floor flat at about 6:40am.
It was later reported that three of them, including a toddler, died in the fire.
Alerting the neighbours
In a Facebook post , Member of Parliament (MP) Tan Kiat How shared that he had visited the location and spoken to residents, who told him stories of how neighbours and volunteers “bravely jumped in to help”.
Tan represents the Kampong Chai Chee ward of East Coast GRC.
One story he highlighted was of a 14-year-old boy who ran “the length and breadth” of the block without his shoes to alert neighbours to the fire.
Tan added that the boy, named Ping Pang, is currently a student at Temasek Junior College IP.
There was also another young man who assisted by carrying his neighbour's mother, who was in a wheelchair, to safety.
“This is truly our Kampong spirit,” Tan added.
According to Tan, by mid-day, almost all residents have returned to their flats after the SCDF inspected the block and gave the clearance.
A total of 60 persons were evacuated from neighbouring units as a precautionary measure, SCDF previously said.
“Some of them [the residents] are still shaken but are coping well,” Tan reported.
Follow and listen to our podcast here
Top image via SCDF/FB.
- Off-duty college campus cop shoots boy, 14, in the head after he heard a car alarm go off and mistook the teen's cellphone light as muzzle flash from a firearm
- 'What's this, Dignitas north east?' Plans for Gateshead Quays are a miserable mishmash
- Woman doctor released from quarantine returns home to abuse, sexual harassment from neighbour
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 14
- Labour Liverpool mayor vows to 'resist' Government plans to reopen schools in June amid growing anger at unions for blocking return of pupils as Lord Blunkett blasts teachers for 'working against the interests of children'
- Three murders in 24 hours in bloodbath London: Man is stabbed to death in broad daylight after two teenagers were killed within 12 minutes as the capital's murder tally rises to 59 this year
- 'Cops will have to carry me out in cuffs': Michigan barber, 77, ticketed for reopening during lockdown vows to keep cutting hair and says 'I don't need Gov. Whitmer to be my mother... I can make these adult decisions myself'
- How to keep your home safe when you return to work: Expert reveals the steps everyone should to protect their property - from securing the letterbox to repairing the garden fence
- 'Drunk' builder, 29, accused of mowing down and killing four kids after mounting a kerb during a car crash is isolated in prison - as the children's mother FORGIVES him
- Experience: I found a stranger in my front room
Boy, 14, ran barefoot around HDB block to alert neighbours of fire at Bedok North flat have 495 words, post on mothership.sg at June 25, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.