PHNOM PENH (Xinhua): The ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) of Prime Minister Hun Sen won a landslide victory in the fifth commune elections on June 5, according to official results released by the National Election Committee (NEC) on Friday (June 24)
Seventeen political parties contested in the polls for the 11,622 positions of commune councilors in 1,652 communes across the South-East Asian nation for the next five years.
The NEC said the CPP won 9,376 seats, or 80.6 per cent, while the main opposition Candlelight Party got 2,198 seats, or 18.9 per cent.
It added that the Funcinpec party earned 19 seats, the Khmer National United Party got 13, the Grassroots Democratic Party won six, the Cambodian Nation Love Party gained five, the Cambodian Youth Party took three, and the Kampucheaniyum Party and the Beehive Social Democratic Party got one each.
NEC’s chairman Prach Chan said the voter turnout was 7.39 million, or 80.3 per cent of the 9.2 million registered voters.
“It was a successful election with a peaceful atmosphere,” he said.
“Security, safety and public order were well maintained, and no incidents or acts of violence were reported.”
The commune polls are seen as a test for the popularity of political parties ahead of the general elections in July 2023.
- Cambodia: Ruling party holds 39th meeting
- Party of PM Hun Sen wins Cambodian election, majority slashed
- Argentine president Cristina Fernandez wins re-election
- Myanmar ruling party concedes as Suu Kyi heads for poll landslide
- Final results hand Cambodian ruling party poll win
- Cambodia: Major parties acknowledge results of communal elections
- Putin to win Russian election in first round - poll
- Cambodia ensures safety for communal election
- Aquino set for landslide win in Philippines vote
- Singapore ruling party stages crushing election win
Cambodia's ruling party scores landslide win in commune elections: official results have 271 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 24, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.