MANILA, Philippines – Police authorities have arrested a suspected member of the extremist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) who is wanted for several crimes in Zamboanga City, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Tuesday.
In a statement on Tuesday, the PNP identified the suspect as Ban Sali Ubbie, who was arrested at his residence in Brgy. Arena Blanco last Saturday, June 25, during a joint police operation.
The police seized illegal firearms, including three caliber .45 pistols, a caliber .38 revolver, and ammunition during the search and arrest of the suspect.
The PNP said that the suspect is facing charges related to the Republic Act No. 10591 or the Illegal Possession of Firearms and Ammunition, murder, and three counts of frustrated murder.
He is an alleged Sulu-based ASG member under sub-leaders Albader Parad and Majan Sahidjuan who were involved in kidnapping for ransom, extortion, robbery, and other forms of atrocities in the province.
Police said Ban Sali Ubbie is also tagged as one of the primary suspects in the ambush that killed Police Superintendent Julasirim Kasim, former Provincial Director of Sulu, along with other three police personnel in Maimbung, Sulu in 2009.
Police said he is also allegedly involved in robbery incidents in Maimbung Sulu, and illegal drug activities in Zamboanga City.
"He is a very notorious individual with multiple criminal cases. His arrest is a major accomplishment in our fight against lawlessness," PNP officer-in-charge, Lt. Gen. Vicente Danao Jr. in a statement.
"Now, it's time for him to face the charges lodged against him," Danao said.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
- Abu Sayyaf extremists battle troops in Philippines, leaving 20 soldiers injured
- Police arrest 4 suspected Boko Haram members in Edo
- Asda worker found guilty of terrorism offences after cops find bomb-making manual and flights booked for him to join ISIS
- Police chief reveals cop suspended for sitting in his patrol car while a fellow officer was shot dead was once fired for COWARDICE when he failed to help a female officer who was being assaulted - but was later reinstated 'through a forged signature'
- Pentagon releases video of raid on Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's Islamic State compound in Syria
- Who was Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and why is his death important?
- Mourners carry the coffins of eight members of the same family killed in Albanian earthquake as search and rescue mission comes to an end with the death toll at 50
- Philippine Troops Kill Two Suspected Terrorists Supporting Daesh
- Jihadis face execution without trial in Syrian jails as Assad says foreign ISIS members will be hanged after sexual assaults, beatings and electrocution
- Robo cop
Cops nab suspected Abu Sayyaf member during Zamboanga operation have 435 words, post on newsinfo.inquirer.net at June 28, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.