SAO PAULO, June 25 (Xinhua) — Sao Paulo and Ecuador international defender Robert Arboleda faces a race against time to be fit for the World Cup as he recovers from ankle surgery.
The 30-year-old underwent the procedure on Friday after scans revealed he ruptured ligaments in his left ankle during Sao Paulo’s 1-0 home win over Palmeiras in the Copa do Brasil on Thursday.
Sao Paulo did not provide an estimate of the recovery time but local media reported Arboleda could miss the World Cup, to be played in Qatar from November 21 to December 18.
The center-back, who has been capped 15 times for Ecuador’s national team, is one of nine players on Sao Paulo’s injury list, which also includes Colombian midfielder Andres Colorado.
Ecuador has been drawn in Group A of football’s showpiece tournament alongside hosts Qatar, the Netherlands and Senegal.
- Women’s World Cup 2019 fixtures and results: Final and third-place play-off schedule
- Hero goalkeeper helps England beat Colombia in FIRST EVER victorious World Cup penalty shootout as his childhood sweetheart looks on and tickets for Sweden quarter-final match sell for £700
- Russian press on the World Cup: Joyful foreign fans praised from different political views
- Women's World Cup: Little girls in Lyon dream of being the next Ada, not the next Ronaldo
- Set pieces, shocks, VAR and politics: A World Cup 2018 review
- Brazil 1-7 Germany: World Cup 2014 semi-final – as it happened
- World Cup 2018: England defeat Colombia in dramatic penalty shootout
- Michel Platini calls for new vote on Qatar World Cup if claims are proved
- Croatia book World Cup semi-final with England after penalty shootout win
- Women's World Cup: Fran Kirby and Leah Williamson score a very glitzy fashion campaign
Ecuador defender Arboleda in doubt for World Cup have 272 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 26, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.