This Vesak Day weekend, human Buddhist devotees weren’t the only ones commemorating the birth, enlightenment, and attainment of nirvana.
Thekchen Choling, a Tibetan Buddhist temple in Jalan Besar, held an animal blessing event on Saturday (May 14), the eve of Vesak Day.
The event saw an overwhelming turnout of hundreds of people queuing up to bring their pets to be blessed.
Nearly 1,000 animals blessed
Nearly 1,000 animals were brought to the temple to be blessed by the monks and nuns at the temple, European television news network Euronews reported .
People brought all types of animals — from dogs, cats, and bunnies to even a terrapin and fish.
At least one person even brought a hamster in a shoebox, according to a comment by one of the people who posted a TikTok of the event.
Blessing the animals
Here are some cute moments of different animals being blessed:
According to the Thekchen Choling Facebook post , devotees were also able to make a light offering together with their pets:
“Light symbolises hope and lighting a candle for Buddha brings positivity to you and your pet's life. Make your heartfelt wishes together with your pet to gain merits together as one family.”
Other activities at the temple
Other activities at the event also included paw painting and free popcorn, cotton candy, and ice cream.
The event was offered free of charge, but devotees were free to make a donation on their own accord to the temple’s Animal Welfare Fund.
The animal blessing event received such an overwhelming response that the temple decided to open it up for a second session the next day, on Vesak Day itself, so that any pet owners who missed the event could bring their pets to be blessed.
Follow and listen to our podcast here
Top photos via TikTok/@jamnadventures and Facebook/Andrew Fok.
- The 12 lessons I learnt in Vietnam about Vietnam
- He Sold Away His People’s Heritage. He’s in the Jungle to Get It Back.
- Venezuela opposition takes part in election as foreign teams observe
- My Friend Mister Rogers
- Miracle elderly dog beats the odds and walks again after being run over twice
- New World Into The Void Update: Full Patch Notes
- 19 Best LEGO gift sets for kids and toddlers
- The Maya: History, civilization & gods
- Petrol stations row: Boris Johnson refuses to rule out shortages lasting beyond CHRISTMAS
- Farewell, Macaulay Culkin: 19 pop-culture windows into the world of 1994
Long queues at Jalan Besar temple on eve of Vesak Day as nearly 1,000 animals received blessings have 435 words, post on mothership.sg at June 25, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.