IPOH: The decision on the rape case involving former state executive council member Paul Yong set for Wednesday (June 29) has been postponed to next month.
Yong's lead counsel Datuk Rajpal Singh said Yong's mother passed away on Saturday (June 25).
He said they had put in a letter to the High Court here seeking an adjournment.
The court fixed July 27 as the next date for decision.
"Yong's mother passed away at the age of 83 due to acute cardiac failure in Sungai Buloh.
"Although the funeral was Monday (June 27), he and his family need to observe the mourning period, as well as participate in various ceremonies for the whole week," Rajpal said when contacted.
On Dec 7, Yong, the Tronoh assemblyman, was ordered to enter his defence for allegedly raping the helper more than two years ago.
The court had ruled that there was a prima facie case against Yong after taking into consideration all the evidence submitted throughout the trial.
On Aug 23, 2019, Yong claimed trial at the Ipoh Sessions Court to a charge of raping his then 23-year-old domestic helper.
The offence was allegedly committed in a room on the top floor of his house in Meru Desa Park between 8.15pm and 9.15pm on July 7 that year.
- Paul Yong's rape trial postponed after he and wife deemed as Covid-19 close contacts
- Paul Yong's rape trial postponed after close contact with Covid-19 case
- Harvey Weinstein Limo Driver Testifies Early in Producer’s California Rape Case
- Rape victim forced to wait two years for justice amid shocking court case backlog
- NEET Postponed To Sept 13 In View of Covid-19, JEE-Mains To Be Held From Sept 1-6: HRD Ministry
- Man Convicted of Raping, Murdering Infant Son to Be Resentenced
- Ram Rahim, in jail for rape, gets life term for 2002 murder
- American Film Institute's gala honoring Julie Andrews postponed amid coronavirus fears
- Five bombshells uncovered in court as Brit 'gang-raped in Cyprus' cleared of lying
- US national gets death for raping, beheading Pakistan ex-diplomat's daughter
Paul Yong rape case: Decision postponed to July 27 have 328 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 27, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.