Singaporean silat exponent Sheik Ferdous Sheik Alau’ddin had to withdraw from the men’s Class G (75-80kg) Tanding Final on doctor’s orders, according to a report by The Straits Times .
In the May 15 match, he was inflicted with an illegal punch to the face from Thai opponent Suthat Bunchit in the second round of the match.
Illegal blow to the face
Sheik Ferdous was immediately knocked out from the punch and was immediately attended to by medical professionals.
The illegal blow cost Suthat five points, down to 10 – 9 in favour of Singapore, and was initially given the first warning.
Eventually, Sheik Ferdous was stretchered out of the ring.
The illegal punch resulted in the Thai athlete’s disqualification, which was accompanied by jeers in the hall.
You can see the full video here:
Ok and under observation
In an update by Speaker Tan Chuan-Jin who is in Vietnam supporting the Singaporean athletes, he assured that Sheik Ferdous is ok and under observation.
Tan, who is the President of the Singapore National Olympic Council, added that following “our doctors’ advice, for safety reasons”, Sheik Ferdous will not compete in the finals that was supposed to take place today (May 16).
He affirmed that what the Thai silat exponent did was “illegal and dangerous”.
“The Thai team was jeering the disqualification of their fighter. What he did was illegal and dangerous. And it should never be acceptable.”
Wins for Singapore silat team
On May 16, fellow silat exponent Nurul Suhaila emerged victorious in the women’s Class E (65-70kg) tanding final.
She received her first SEA Games gold after settling for a bronze in the past three consecutive SEA Games, according to ST .
Top image screenshot from Entertainment Mediacorp /YouTube.
- Half of Britain's coronavirus patients have been sent home: UK goes against EU advice by telling sufferers 'with mild symptoms' to lock themselves in their bedroom and avoid family members - amid fears the NHS doesn't have enough beds for an outbreak
- 'No one has told me to self-isolate...I just want to get back to work': Uber driver is among hundreds returning to Britain from locked-down Italy who say there are NO coronavirus checks or advice at UK airports
- Thousands of furious Brits stranded as Ryanair, BA and Jet2 cancel ALL flights to and from Italy until April amid coronavirus crisis – so how ARE UK passengers going to get home?
- Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert apologizes for 'jokingly' touching reporters' microphones before knowing about coronavirus diagnosis as NBA chief says the season's hiatus will last 'at least 30 days'
- Cheltenham Gold Cup and Premier League games look set to go ahead even if COBRA moves to 'delay' response over coronavirus but The Who postpone tour and London Bike Show is cancelled
- Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix is CANCELLED due to coronavirus fears after top drivers refused to take part when a mechanic caught the deadly illness
- Could HRT be a secret weapon in the war against dementia? Hormone replacement therapy has long been controversial. But evidence now suggests it may have a startling benefit — making the shortage even more alarming
- The Hill's Morning Report — Dem ire at Barr intensifies
- Comic Book Reviews for This Week: 3/4/2020
- Coronavirus updates: New York sets up containment zone, EU to establish €25B fund for economy
S'porean silat exponent withdraws from finals on doctors' advice after receiving illegal blow in the face, gets silver have 541 words, post on mothership.sg at June 25, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.