SHAH ALAM: An influenza-like illness (ILI) cluster was detected in a fully residential school in Gombak district on June 19, according to the Selangor Health Department.
Its director Datuk Dr Sha’ari Ngadiman said the cluster was confirmed after the Gombak district health office received notification of the first case from a private health facility involving a student who was found to be Influenza A positive.
“The case first experienced symptoms of respiratory tract infections on June 17," he said in a statement Tuesday (June 21).
He said investigations showed that overall, 226 students had symptoms of respiratory tract infections like fever, cough, flu and sore throat, with six of them confirmed positive for Influenza A, giving an infection rate of 32.7%.
He said so far, only one Influenza A positive student was admitted to a private medical centre for observation and was in stable condition, while the rest were given outpatient treatment.
Covid-19 tests conducted on 69 symptomatic students all turned out negative, he added.
He said ILI is an acute respiratory infection characterised by high fever, cough, sore throat, headache and myalgia which were caused by Influenza A, Influenza B, human parainfluenza and respiratory syncytial (RSV) viruses.
“The infection is normally spread through respiratory droplets which are easily transmitted in congested areas, places with poor ventilation and places with high risk of physical contact," he said.
Dr Sha'ari said the symptoms would normally persist for several days and heal through supportive treatment like sufficient rest, medication and adequate hydration.
He said prevention and control measures had been taken by the district health office in collaboration with the school administration, including detection, isolation and early treatment at school.
“The state Health Department will continue to monitor the situation and trend of ILI in Selangor, as well as work with the relevant parties to ensure appropriate control and prevention measures are carried out," he said. – Bernama
- H7N9 "one of most lethal" influenza viruses: experts
- 3 Arizonans among 53 sickened in a nationwide E. coli outbreak; illness sourced to Yuma-area lettuce
- Alcohol services reaching 'crisis point', report warns
- Flu Update: Just how bad has it been in King County?
- DoH: 3,281 hospitalized ‘victims’ of Dengvaxia
- Flu season coming to an end after pandemic-level numbers
- Top spots to live in Greater Boston in 2018
- Top spots to live in Massachusetts
- A rare eye cancer showed up in three friends. Doctors want to know if the cases are connected.
- Seconds mattered: How BSO's response at Parkland went wrong in 11 minutes
Selangor reports influenza-like illness cluster in Gombak residential school have 408 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 21, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.