LONDON — Crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital (3AC) has entered liquidation, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Wednesday (June 29), in the latest sign of the market downturn hurting the crypto industry.
Singapore-based 3AC is one of the higher profile crypto investors to have run into difficulties following the sharp sell-off in the market for digital currencies seen in recent months.
Crypto broker Voyager Digital issued 3AC with a default notice on Monday after it failed to make payments on a loan of 15,250 bitcoin (approximately US$324 million) (S$452 million) and US$350 million worth of USDC, a stablecoin.
A British Virgin Islands court order also dated on Monday ordered 3AC’s liquidation.
Consultancy firm Teneo have been appointed as liquidators.
Top cryptocurrency bitcoin has plunged some 37 per cent in June, trading around US$20,000 on Wednesday, compared with its all-time high of US$69,000 in November 2021.
News of 3AC’s liquidation was first reported by broadcaster Sky on Wednesday.
On June 15, 3AC’s co-founder sought to address liquidation rumours in a tweet, saying the company was “fully committed to working this out”, without going into further detail.
3AC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Bitcoin surges to all-time record as 2020 rally powers on
- Cityneon Forays into Historical Artefacts IP Exhibition
- China wants to weaponize its currency. A digital version could help
- More than a MILLION shoppers line up in huge virtual queue to get on Debenhams' website and snap up 70%-off fire sale bargains in the final hours before the 242-year-old chain goes out of business
- Debenhams' website CRASHES after more than a MILLION shoppers queued online to snap up 70%-off fire sale bargains before the 242-year-old chain goes out of business - but only 40 people turn up for opening of flagship Oxford Street store
- Geo Energy Resources Limited Honored at the Asia Pacific Enterprise Awards 2020
- Most Britons could be barred from visiting the EU after Brexit under coronavirus travel rules - even if there IS a deal
- Why the Right’s Principled Populists Will Lose
- Marissa Mayer wants to clean up your contacts, and that’s just for starters
- Delay, deny and deflect: How Facebook’s leaders fought through crisis
Singapore-based crypto hedge fund Three Arrows Capital has entered liquidation, source says have 368 words, post on www.asiaone.com at June 30, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.