KOTA KINABALU: A woman ehailing driver and another man were sentenced to a combined 21 years' in jail by the Sessions Court for robbing a passenger in Tawau early this month.
Tawau Sessions Court Judge Awang Kerisnada Awang Mahmud sentenced Ziana Abdul Zain, 27, to a 10-year imprisonment while Hamzah Syed Hamid, 26, was given 11 years and six strokes of rotan.
The accused admitted to the charges under Section 395 (for gang robbery) and 397 (for robbery with the use of a deadly weapon) of the Penal Code on Monday (June 27).
According to the facts of the case, both the accused, and another suspect still at large, had robbed a 27-year-old man who had boarded the vehicle driven by Ziana, a foreigner, at the Fajar area at about 2.30am on June 14.
Besides the driver, there were two other men seated in the rear when the passenger got into the vehicle.
The driver and the two men suddenly demanded the passenger to hand over his valuables, with one of the men pointing a knife at him.
The victim, who lost a mobile phone in the robbery, suffered cuts to one of his fingers. The knife was believed to have been thrown into a nearby bush.
Judge Awang Kerisnada said the court had carefully considered the facts of the case as it being a public interest matter since it involved the ehailing service.
He said the court also wanted the public to have a higher level of awareness on their safety when using such services.
- 'You've ripped a hole in my heart': Grace Millane's mother fights the tears as she confronts 21-year-old daughter's depraved killer via video link as he's jailed for life
- Shocking moment speeding driver, 23, kills 43-year-old man and left his partner, 55, badly injured after he ploughed into them as they crossed road
- Speeding driver is jailed for five years for killing Christmas shopper, 64, as she crossed road in 69mph crash after he was distracted by his DOG
- Death row inmate who killed youth minister in car fire to be executed 21 years later
- Auto driver held for murder bid on 80-year-old farmer
- 'She died terrified and alone in a room with you': Grace Millane's mother confronts her daughter's killer in court as he is jailed for life in New Zealand for strangling British backpacker after Tinder date
- Learner driver, 24, who killed young woman in hit-and-run while 'showing off' before swapping seats with her boyfriend so he could drive off is jailed
- Self-styled 'Papa Smurf' who toured schools and nurseries showing off his world record collection of 11,500 Smurfs is jailed for 16 years for raping a girl under 16
- Do-gooders in green: Ride-hailing drivers uphold spirit of kindness in Ho Chi Minh City
- 2 men held for trying to convert woman: Police
Woman ehailing driver, accomplice jailed 21 years for robbing passenger have 447 words, post on www.thestar.com.my at June 27, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.