Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob (File photo by Sam Fong/The Edge)
KUALA LUMPUR (July 2): Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob wants the entire cooperative movement through Angkatan Koperasi Kebangsaan Malaysia Bhd (Angkasa) to keep up the "jihad" (struggle) against middlemen to empower the national food security agenda.
Ismail Sabri said he sees cooperatives with many members having the role apart from being involved in retail, wholesale and so on.
According to him, there is a need to resurrect the 'jihad' as the price and supply of goods are currently determined by middlemen.
"Therefore, the time has come for the entire cooperative movement through Angkasa to revive the movement which I introduced, and championed when I was the Minister of Agriculture (Agriculture and Agro-based Industries) which is the ‘Jihad against Middlemen'.
"Hope the matter would resume and Angkasa can play a more significant role in empowering the national food security agenda," he said when speaking at the opening of the 2022 National Cooperative Month celebration here on Saturday (July 2).
Also present were Entrepreneur Development and Cooperatives Minister Tan Sri Noh Omar and Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim.
- Aide Aamir Liaquat Turns on Imran Khan, Says PM Wanted 'Revolt' in Army to 'Remove' Gen Bajwa
- Pakistan Crisis: Close aide Aamir Liaquat turns on Imran Khan, says PM wanted 'revolt' in army to 'remove' Gen Bajwa
- 'Aren't you out of touch?' Yvette Cooper's immigration strategy torn apart on C4 News
- Shehbaz Sharif thanks PM Modi for felicitating him; says Pak desires 'peaceful and cooperative' ties with India
- Shehbaz Sharif writes letter to PM Modi, seeks peaceful ties with India
- DMK, BJP Spar Over PM Modi's Picture At Public Distribution Shop In Trichy
- World needs new rules for global trade, says Singapore's PM
- PM Modi writes letter to Pakistan PM Shehbaz Sharif
- UK PM Arrives In Gujarat For Maiden India Visit, Looks To Deepen Strategic Trade & Defence Ties
- Akal Takht to PM Modi: correct wrongs by Congress govts
PM wants cooperatives to resume 'Jihad against Middlemen' have 330 words, post on www.theedgemarkets.com at July 2, 2022. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.