The telltale sign that JC Wilcox is a crackpot is that he states his opinions as proven facts. Either he knows he is lying or he’s ignorant. In his latest letter he says that science has proven there is no such thing as man-made global warming. When 97 per cent of scientists who have been published on this subject say that man-made global warming is real, what evidence does Wilcox have that the other 3 per cent of scientists have proven them wrong? Of course we have a right to disagree with even 99.99 per cent of scientists. But if you do so and you don’t back up what you say with evidence then you can not expect to be taken seriously. Incidentally, I noticed Wilcox no longer writes letters about how wonderful the junta is. Perhaps he now realises his glowing views of the junta – like his views on other issues except vegetarianism – are based on nothing more than his delusions. Eric Bahrt Chiang Mai … [Read more...] about To oppose 97% per cent of scientists, you need evidence
Readers may recall Ardern’s Orwellian decision to obliterate the record of what happened at the Christchurch massacre. There has been fallout – Philip Arps, who “shared” the video of the event, has received a 21-month jail sentence. That’s all he did – shared the truth – a victimless crime. The most egregious part of this sad affair is that the judge made strong reference to the man’s views in his summing up, despite being cautioned by the defence lawyer. Like many New Zealanders, Arps has serious concerns about the downside of his country’s surging migrant population, and that damned him in the eyes of the law. Yet again Orwell’s words come to mind: “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” Nigel Pike Phang Nga … [Read more...] about The truth – an imprisonable offence in New Zealand
Delighted to learn that Stephff’s cartoons will continue to run in the new online website, www.nationthailand.com. A circular to subscribers says that the new website will be available beginning July 1. This decision partially redeems The Nation’s new owners from the black sin of brutally shutting down the print edition, which brought joy to the hearts of legions of readers for almost 48 years. Stephffophiles throughout the land can now break out the bubbly (and also the non-bubbly) and rejoice. Now we need a book containing the best of Stephff’s cartoons to immortalise them forever. Book publishers, take note! S Tsow … [Read more...] about Stephff on screen: Now the laughs come in colour
Most countries have a National Day, including the United States (July 4th Independence Day), China (October 1) and Taiwan (October 10). Their purpose is to cultivate a sense of national identity and patriotic pride among citizens. In Thailand that national pride and identity among citizens has been squashed by no less than 23 coups conducted by the military, all on the pretext of national security and combating corruption. The current Army chief has refused to rule out the possibility of more military coups in the future. Thailand has thus been governed by a “state” within a “state”. However, history has shown time and again that military governments are no cleaner or more transparent than civilian administrations, and if anything less so. Further, the military has a tendency to stoke divisions in the country. For instance, the Army chief recently remarked that those without gratitude to their motherland and monarchy should leave the country. This … [Read more...] about What is our National Day?
I know The Nation is not the first paper to abandon print, and it will not be the last. I hope that those displaced by the change find new and rewarding opportunities. An era is ending, but I sincerely hope that the tradition of strong, independent journalism survives and thrives. I trust that the online Nation will report the news with integrity and impartiality, and will continue to provide space for people with differing viewpoints to state their cases. Long may The Nation continue to play a vital role in informing the English-reading public in Thailand and abroad. R Debacleur Bangkok … [Read more...] about A beacon of independent journalism dimmed – but not doused