It said that it was a client of the MyIDENTITY system and did not own it, adding that after an internal investigation, it found that there was no data leak from LHDN’s side. The LHDN added that it would be working with the National Registration Department (NRD), the National Cyber Security Agency (NACSA) and the National Security Council (NSC) on the matter. “We would like to guarantee that all the data and information in our possession is safe because it is protected with certified data security technology,” it said in a statement on Tuesday (Sept 28). It also said that it regretted a news report and allegations against LHDN, saying that it could affect the confidence of the public, especially of taxpayers. It had been alleged earlier that a database was being sold online that purportedly contains the personal data of four million Malaysians. The database - according to a tweet by Adnan Mohd Shukor - purportedly contains details such as names, emails, mobile numbers and ... » Learn More about LHDN says not involved in alleged data leak
Allegation of assault
Countries including Japan and the United States are on the brink of losing their military technological edge over China and should deepen bilateral defence cooperation to shore up their supremacy, a senior Japanese defence official said on Monday. The stark warning, issued by Suzuki Atsuo, of Japan’s agency overseeing military research and development, comes as Washington embarks on its own defence technology-sharing pact with Britain and Australia, widely seen as a counter to China’s growing military presence in the Indo-Pacific. Aukus , as the alliance is known, focuses on defence-related areas including artificial intelligence (AI), quantum technology, cybersecurity and underwater capabilities – all areas in which Tokyo, too, is keenly interested, Suzuki said. Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge , our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to ... » Learn More about Japan, US risk losing military tech edge to China, Tokyo official says
For several weeks the Paris special court will hear witness statements from survivors PARIS - Survivors of the November 2015 Paris attacks testify from Tuesday at a historic trial, facing the ordeal of reliving that night of horror in the presence of over a dozen accused in court. One by one over the coming weeks, 300 survivors as well as family members of the victims of the murderous assault on November 13 are to take the stand. The suicide bombing and gun assaults by three teams of jihadists on bars, restaurants, the Bataclan concert hall and the national stadium -- planned in Syria and later claimed by the Islamic State group -- left 130 people dead and around 350 physically injured. Some of the survivors told AFP that, as daunting as it was to tell their stories in a packed courtroom with the accused present, they felt it had to be done. "I want to go through with this, it's part of my reconstruction effort," said 31-year old Marko, who sat on a terrace at the Belle ... » Learn More about Paris attacks survivors to relive horror in trial testimony
Stay in the know with a recap of our top stories today. 1. 'Angry and disheartened': Singapore literary community shuns BooksActually after expose on owner Kenny Leck "We also acknowledge that our writing community should do better, and that scarce resources should never be an excuse for unacceptable behaviour"... » READ MORE 2. Bishan Park cafe Grub closing after 9 years, says 'timeline given for moving out is very short' The Grub crew announced that the bistro will be moving out by January 2022 as they are unable to renew their expiring lease... » READ MORE 3. All work, all play: Aftershock PC founder games with his staff after office hours; proud of their work-life balance "I think that finding a better balance is something that I would prefer as a business owner, something that I would feel more proud about"... » READ MORE 4. Just a slap: Huang Yiliang says Lin Meijiao asked him to be 'bad cop', in response to daughter Chantalle Ng's ... » Learn More about Daily roundup: Singapore literary community shuns BooksActually after expose on owner Kenny Leck — and other top stories today
Presidential aspirant Isko Moreno has been on the receiving end of criticism for what people call fence-sitting or a lack of categorical answers when it comes to issues like Leila de Lima and the Duterte war on drugs. He’s been called “Duterte Lite” or “Duterte 2.0” as people speculate that his lack of clarity is proof that he is a puppet being controlled by President Rodrigo Duterte or that he would adopt his controversial policies if elected into Malacañang. Then there’s the sneering at a man once invited by opposition coalition 1Sambayan and suspected of being impostor who does not represent the “true opposition.” Veteran journalist and Inquirer columnist John Nery wrote that there's no way Isko can now be considered an opposition candidate. Two political analysts say fence-sitting is nothing new and Moreno likely won’t be the only candidate to be accused of this in the months ahead. With President Duterte still enjoying fairly high ... » Learn More about Duterte Lite: Is fence-sitting a sin or strategy in 2022 elections?
Ombudsman Samuel Martires, Sen. Leila de Lima and President Rodrigo Duterte. FILE PHOTOS MANILA, Philippines — Opposition Senator Leila de Lima on Tuesday urged the Ombudsman to investigate what she dubbed the “Public-Private Sector Partnership for Plunder” of President Rodrigo Duterte and Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp., a firm which faces a Senate probe over alleged overpricing of medical supplies. “Kahit ngayon lang sa pagkakataon na ito, sana naman kumampi si Ombudsman [Samuel] Martires sa panig ng taumbayan. Huwag naman sanang puro lamang pagprotekta sa SALN [statement of assets and liabilities] ni Duterte ang kanyang inaatupag,” de Lima said in a statement. (Just this time, I hope Ombudsman Martires will side with the public and not just purely protect Duterte’s SALN.) De Lima claimed that Pharmally literally killed people by delivering expired face shields for health workers’ use . “The Pharmally investigation has gone this far for us to discover that the crime did ... » Learn More about De Lima urges Ombudsman to probe Duterte, Pharmally’s ‘PPP for plunder’