Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg Singapore champion marathoner Soh Rui Yong, 30, is going to appeal the court ruling that he had defamed former teammate Ashley Liew, 34. On Sep. 23, 2021, Soh was ordered by the District Court to pay S$180,000 in damages awarded to Liew -- S$120,000 in general damages and S$60,000 in aggravated damages. Appeal will be filed Mere hours after the verdict, Soh wrote on Facebook that the case was not over and he would appeal. With his typical bravado, he wrote: There're a lot of falsehoods being paraded on social media, by people who don't know head from tail about this case . There are attacks on my integrity, character and credibility. Most disgustingly, there have been attacks on my family members, friends and loved ones. I have no choice but to respond: This marathon is not over. I will be launching an appeal in the High Court of Singapore. Will clear my name, whatever it takes. ... » Learn More about Marathoner Soh Rui Yong to appeal after losing defamation case
Frustrated uss cole case judge retiring from military service
Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg A video circulating on Facebook has caused a stir around the current state of Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH). The video on the situation at the hospital was posted online on Sep. 23 by Facebook user Max Maxis Maxis. It showed rows of hospital beds and patients outside the regular hospital area. There appeared to be about 20 hospital beds lined up neatly in an open-air space, with vehicles moving around nearby. The caption said that a car park in TTSH had been converted to a hospital ward, and that "[t]he situation doesn’t look good." TTSH: Facility in video is screening space Responding to Mothership 's queries, a spokesperson from TTSH confirmed that the facility seen in the video is part of their extended Emergency Department. The facility is used to create more screening space as part of the hospital's Covid-19 ramp-up efforts, the spokesperson said. TTSH previously announced ... » Learn More about TTSH extends Covid-19 screening space into carpark due to surge in positive & suspect cases
MANILA, Philippines – Imee Marcos, daughter of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr and now Ilocos Norte governor, would have had to pay $4.16 million in damages for the “wrongful death” of a student – a critic of hers and her father – had the Supreme Court not blocked the payment in 2006. Archimedes Trajano – 21 years old in 1977 and a Mapua student who boldly questioned Imee in a forum at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila why she deserved to be a youth representative – was found mauled and dead on the streets of Manila on September 2, 1977. A Hawaii court ordered Imee to pay the family of Trajano $4.16 million in damages. But in a ruling in 2006 , the Supreme Court blocked the payment because it found that a lower court sheriff was not diligent enough in serving the summons on Imee personally, so the substituted service on a condo unit caretaker was invalid. This voided the court’s enforcement of the payment. (READ: LIST: False claims of Juan Ponce ... » Learn More about How Imee Marcos got away from paying $4M in damages for Trajano death
MANILA, Philippines – It is preposterous, premature , and it stinks. These are some of the words used by the dissenting justices of the Court of Appeals (CA) and Solicitor General Jose Calida to describe the decision of Justice Normandie Pizarro to free former Palawan governor Joel Reyes who was accused of murder. Pizarro’s ponencia stopped a Palawan court from proceeding to hear the case, ruling without trial that the evidence is insufficient. Calida said they are ready to appeal the decision at the Supreme Court (SC). Other decisions Pizarro has been making controversial decisions lately. He was the justice who penned the ruling which acquitted Janet Lim Napoles in her case of serious illegal detention. That was in May 2017. A month before that, in July, he penned the ruling that nullified a Hawaii court decision that granted $2 billion worth of damages to victims of the Martial Law period. In January this ... » Learn More about FAST FACTS: Who is Normandie Pizarro, the CA justice who freed Joel Reyes?
MANILA, Philippines – Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr publicized the first episode of his one-on-one video interview with Juan Ponce Enrile on Thursday, September 20, the eve of the 46th anniversary of the declaration of Martial Law. Bongbong, the only son and namesake of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, sat on a plush chair facing Enrile, former Marcos defense minister and known architect and implementor of Martial Law. (READ: Martial Law, the dark chapter in Philippine history ) But the two men made false or misleading claims in their video entitled, "JPE: A Witness to History," a clear attempt to justify Marcos’ Proclamation No. 1081 which placed the whole country under martial rule on September 21, 1972. Bongbong opened the interview by asking Enrile, “What is the biggest fallacy that young people now are being fed about the reasons behind and the actual events of Martial Law?” (READ: #NeverAgain: Martial Law stories young people need ... » Learn More about LIST: False claims of Juan Ponce Enrile on Martial Law
Since the arrival of Covid-19 vaccines , a crucial but largely unspoken question has loomed large for countries looking towards returning to pre-pandemic life: How much sickness and death will occur even after nearly everybody has been jabbed? Possible answers to that question are coming into view as a growing number of territories get close to their maximum vaccination rates. Although varying considerably, the emerging picture points to a post-vaccinated future in which societies may have to accept significantly more Covid-19 deaths than those caused by the flu to move beyond restrictions such as lockdowns and border closures. While European countries with high vaccination rates have largely returned to normal life, living with Covid-19 could prove more difficult to accept for Asia-Pacific economies that avoided even flu-level death rates by sealing their borders. “My personal feeling is that, after brainwashing people in many places with this fight against the virus and ... » Learn More about From Singapore to Hong Kong, how many will die even after most are jabbed?
Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg Recently, several amendments were made to the Copyright Act in Singapore. One change in particular stood out to the public: Soon, creators of works like photographs, portraits, engravings, sound recordings and films will receive the copyright to their work by default , even if they were commissioned to do the work. With the new rules expected to kick in around November 2021, panic soon ensued within the online space, as many Singaporeans began fearing what the new changes meant, especially with regard to wedding photography. Will photographers be given the right to do whatever they want with photos they take on the job? Will the price of photography packages increase, due to the need to negotiate for the rights with the photographer? Why were these changes even necessary? Mothership spoke to the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS), to find out more about the upcoming changes. ... » Learn More about MS Explains: Changes to Copyright Act don’t mean you lose all rights to your wedding photos
MANILA, Philippines – Is Ferdinand Marcos a hero or not? This has been the heated debate since President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to prepare for the burial of the late president at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, expected to take place in September. Various parties – mostly consisting of Martial Law victims – have opposed the President’s decision, arguing that the late dictator does not deserve a slot at the Heroes’ Cemetery because of the human rights violations that were committed during his time. Several petitions have been filed before the Supreme Court (SC) seeking to stop the interment. Five of 6 petitions have cited Republic Act 10368 or the Human Rights Victims Reparations Act of 2013. Signed by former President Benigno Aquino III, the law recognizes “the heroism and sacrifices of all Filipinos who were victims of summary execution, torture, enforced or involuntary disappearance and other gross human ... » Learn More about What the gov’t still owes Martial Law victims
Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/mothershipsg The police have arrested a 50-year-old man after they were alerted to a case of vandalism at Block 141 Yishun Ring Road at about 1:55pm on Sep. 23, 2021. Preliminary investigations revealed that the man had allegedly sprayed paint on the walls inside Chong Pang Neighbourhood Police Post (NPP). The NPP is one of the redesigned NPPs that provide residents with round-the-clock access to police services via the self-help kiosks. The man has been arrested for vandalism and suspected possession and consumption of controlled drugs. Police investigations are ongoing. The man will be remanded for further investigations and the police will seek a court order to send him for psychiatric assessment. The man will be charged in court on Sep. 24 for vandalism. Anyone found guilty of vandalism can be jailed up to three years, and given three to eight strokes of the cane, as well as fined. The police ... » Learn More about Man, 50, arrested for allegedly spray painting interior of police post in Yishun in broad daylight
GOMBAK: The spread of purported evidence and information on social media involving sexual harassment allegations against a celebrity preacher hampered ongoing investigations, say police. Bukit Aman CID director Comm Datuk Seri Abd Jalil Hassan said the information should have been channelled directly to the police instead of posting it on social media where it went viral. "We have opened investigations in connection with the spread of obscene videos and messages as it disrupted our investigation. "We urge the public to respect the ongoing and thorough investigation conducted by the police," he told a press conference at Gombak police headquarters on Friday (Sept 24). He urged members of the public with information that can assist investigations not to share it social media. "Give the information straight to the police so that we can complete the investigation (involving the preacher) and refer the matter to the Attorney General's Chambers. "We hope for the cooperation of ... » Learn More about Spread of info on social media hampered celebrity preacher probe, say cops