Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputies inspect the vehicle of golfer Tiger Woods, who was rushed to hospital after suffering multiple injuries, after it was involved in a single-vehicle accident in Los Angeles, California, U.S. February 23, 2021. REUTERS/Gene Blevins Documents made public Friday note that the first person to reach Tiger Woods after the golfer’s rollover crash last month found him unconscious in the mangled SUV. A police affidavit says the man, who is not named, told them he heard the crash near his Rolling Hills Estates home and walked to the accident, where he found Woods with his face and chin covered in blood. The man said he tried to speak to Woods but was unable to get a response. Law enforcement previously had not disclosed that Woods had lost consciousness. By the time first responders arrived, Woods apparently had come to, and they reported him as “calm and lucid” as he was pulled from the wreck. In the paperwork, police say Woods said he couldn’t ... » Learn More about Tiger Woods was found unconscious, documents say
Legs push pull split
Rene Mark Cuatro is the new International Boxing Federation (IBF) minimum weight champion. In an all-Filipino clash, Cuatro beat Pedro Taduran via unanimous decision, dethroning the latter Saturday at the Bula Gym in General Santos City. All three judges came up with an identical 115-113 scorecards in favor of Cuatro. With the victory, Cuatro improved to a 19-2-2 (11 KOs) record. Taduran was trying to push the pace all throughout, but Cuatro had none of it, keeping his defense intact, and looking for golden opportunities to strike. Cuatro, who hails from Zamboanga Del Norte, then got his best moment in the close bout when he shook Taduran with a solid left hook in the fifth round. With this loss to a fellow 24-year-old, Taduran dropped to a 14-3-1 record (11 KOs). Prior to this match, Taduran, the pride of Libon, Albay, last fought in February 2020 when he won over Daniel Valladres via majority draw. This Taduran-Cuatro bout was the second all-Filipino title clash in a ... » Learn More about Cuatro dethrones Taduran, wins IBF minimum weight title
Barangay Ginebra is paving a path to a dynastic future by pulling a page from its past. The Gin Kings acquired NorthPort big man Christian Standhardinger for Greg Slaughter in a one-on-one swap that was reported a year ago, but was locked in the backburner, apparently because of a sabbatical that the Ginebra center took last year. “He’s a throwback to the Ginebra players of old,” Ginebra coach Tim Cone said of Standhardinger hours after the trade was announced on Friday morning by the PBA after approval from its trade committee the night before. “I think the (Gin Kings’) fans will appreciate his style of play.” The Inquirer reported the trade in February last year, citing it as one of the reasons Slaughter decided to take a sabbatical from the league. Slaughter flew to the United States but eventually mended fences with San Miguel Corp. top bosses, who signed him to a fresh contract before finally dealing him to the Batang Pier. Major piece “[Christian’s] strengths will ... » Learn More about Acquisition star Standhardinger puts Ginebra on course for brighter tomorrows
LONDON (AFP) - Global sport is facing the "mother of all wake-up calls" as it emerges from the coronavirus lockdown, with uncertainty over what the landscape for participants and sponsors will look like. Former head of Olympic marketing Michael Payne believes that although "it will be very painful pulling through it", sport will nevertheless emerge "healthier and stronger". While a leading advertising industry figure warns it will be "nip and tuck" for the organisers of the rearranged Euro 2021 football championship and the Tokyo Olympics, former Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has told AFP the ordinary fan will just be glad to have the diversion of live sport again. Apart from a few exceptions - the sideshows of football in Belarus or horse racing in Hong Kong and Australia - sport has been at a standstill since mid-March as the coronavirus pandemic swept the globe, claiming more than 370,000 lives. Only now is it edging back to action. Payne, who was widely credited ... » Learn More about Coronavirus: What future for sport and sponsors after the lockdown?
The coup deposed national leader Aung San Suu Kyi a little over a year after Chinese President Xi Jinping made a show of support to her with the first visit by a head of state from Beijing to Myanmar and 33 agreements on a wide range of issues, since 2001. The military's commander in chief, Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, has taken charge of the new government under a one-year state of emergency. Even if China played no role at all in ousting Suu Kyi, Beijing is likely to gain still greater sway over the country, analysts say. That's especially likely if the US and other Western governments impose sanctions to try to punish the regime. At a briefing on the situation at the United Nations Security Council on Tuesday, the UN envoy for Myanmar condemned the coup and urged the council to support democracy in the country. But it was unclear if the council would issue a statement calling for restoration of democracy and release of all those detained by the military ... » Learn More about Coup a further complication for tricky Myanmar-China ties